If you find yourself stammering in front of a crowd, or cowering when the boss calls you and then berating yourself afterwards because you suddenly thought of all the witty comebacks that you could have said but didn’t, these are clear signs that you’re lacking in the confidence department.
Before you find yourself in similar situations and once again be tongue-tied, there are steps that you can do to build your self confidence. Check out the following list for a few suggestions on building confidence.
1. Be comfortable in your own skin. No matter what you do, there will always be people who are more good-looking, taller, thinner, sexier and smarter than you. This doesn’t mean however that you will forever live in their shadows.
Own up to who you are and be comfortable with everything you have been endowed with. Confidence starts from the inside and unless you accept who you are, you will never have that confidence that you are aiming for.
2. Be proactive. Deciding to be confident is one thing, doing something about it is another. See where your weak points are and work on them one at a time. If it’s stammering in front of a crowd or strangers, work on your speech.
Practice in front of the mirror. Grab books that can help you with public speaking.
3. Exude your inner beauty. Beauty first and foremost comes from within and it shines through. This means that you have to have inner joy and in turn, you will be more pleasant to be around with. When people gravitate towards you because you have a pleasant outlook in life, the more self-confidence you will have.
4. Be generous with your compliments. It is a well-known fact that people want to feel appreciated in whatever form. If you practice throwing sincere compliments and match these with a warm smile, you feel more positive. The more positive you feel, the more confident you become.
5. Be grateful that you are alive. Gratitude also makes you more positive. No matter how many lemons life gives you, as they say, you can always make lemonades instead of begrudging that you got the shorter end of the deal.
If you have noticed from all the above-given premises, self-confidence starts from the inside. By feeling truly grateful for all you have instead of focusing on what you don’t have, by being comfortable in your own skin and accepting who you are; you are bringing about a kind of confidence that you never thought you’d have.