Do-It-Yourself crafts for the home projects are very easy to do and they are more affordable than your usual home ornaments since they usually only require using recycled or inexpensive materials.
What’s more, you can also find several DIY crafts that you can do with your kids which not only keeps them busy but also helps develop their artistic side as well as teach them the importance of recycling.
There are several home crafts, too, that enable you to come up with playthings for the kids.
Crafts For the Home
Light Bulb Hanging Ornament
Before you throw out that old light bulb, here’s how you can turn it into a beautiful ornament that you can hang anywhere around the house.
Old light bulb
2 bottle caps; 1 from your regular dishwashing liquid and 1 from a soda bottle
Stickers of your choice
Decorative trimmings; ribbons, laces or any other trimming of your choice
Wire; gold or brass
Acrylic paint of your choice
Metallic paint or metallic pen
2 colored beads of your choice, match the color with your wire color
Alcohol rubbing compound
1. First, thoroughly clean your light bulb with the alcohol compound and then air dry. Clean the caps as well with dishwashing soap and air dry these too.
2. Make a hole on your soda cap and with both ends of your wire put together, place this through the hole to create a hanger.
3. Glue the soda cap to the socket of your bulb and then glue your dishwashing cap to the other end of your bulb, right in the center. Let these dry out.
4. Paint your bulb with the acrylic paint of our choice and then let dry. While this is drying, color your caps with the metallic paint or pen of your choice.
5. Once the paints and the colors have completely dried, attach your decorative stickers according to our preference.
6. Apply a coating of gloss varnish over the entire bulb and stickers.
7. Decorate your caps with the trimmings of your choice to further camouflage their “cap” appearance. Glue your choice of colored bead on the bottom of the dishwashing cap.
Once you’ve completed all the steps, you now have your very own homemade decorative hanger.
Homemade Clay for Kids
Kids love to play with clay, making all sorts of shapes. You can make your kids’ clay right at home, which is cheaper and you can even ask the kids to help.
What you will need:
One cup flour
One cup water
Two tbsp. cream of tartar
One tbsp. oil
1. Put all the ingredients together in a sauce pan, making sure that the flour is free of lumps.
2. Cook over medium heat until all ingredients are well-blended. Wait a few minutes until you see the ingredients forming a dough-like appearance.
3. Place the dough on wax paper. Let it cool down a bit and then add food coloring. Let the kids choose their colors.
4. Place the dough inside a zip-lock bag to keep it fresh. Make sure that the kids put back the clay inside the bag and seal tightly to keep it pliable for weeks.
These four simple steps will instantly create the kids’ clay to play with. You can make several batches if you wish to make more than one color.