If you’ve been feeling sick of late or are experiencing lethargy and loss of energy, chances are you have a weak immune system. A weak immune system will make you more susceptible to infections and developing illnesses.
To boost your energy and improve your quality of life, it is therefore important to build your immune system.
How to Build Your Immune System
1. Change your eating habits. Foregoing junk foods for healthier substitutes is the first step in boosting your immune system. Eating plenty of vegetables is essential. Vegetables contain a lot of the vitamins and minerals that the body needs and these can tremendously help in fighting-off infections and illnesses.
Proteins are also important. These can give you energy and help in producing cells that support the immune system. Good sources of protein are lean meats and poultry; and fish. Fishes like mackerel, tuna and sardines are particularly high in Omega-3 and are known to build one’s immune system.
2. Take your vitamins. Sometimes, you lack certain vitamins because you don’t get your required daily dose from what you eat. You can take vitamin supplements to give you your required daily amount. Pay particular attention to Vitamin A, C, D, E, B6 and B12 and Selenium.
3. Quit smoking. Tobacco smoking has been known to be a primary cause for a number of life-threatening diseases particularly lung cancer, bladder cancer, pancreatic cancer and throat and mouth cancers. This is also a leading cause of heart attacks and strokes.
4. Get the right amount of sleep. Your body needs its rest after a full day’s work and the best way to do this is to get good quality sleep every night. Sleep deprivation causes lack of energy and may also lead to hormonal imbalance.
5. Relax. Stress has also been known to cause several health conditions including increased blood pressure which may lead to stroke. The body reacts through our emotions and if you’re feeling stressed out this could also result in a lower immune system. Take the time to relax and enjoy recreational activities.
6. Drink lots of water. Water can help you flush out toxins in the body and prevent dehydration. Lack of water may cause migraine headaches among other things.
As shown above, these are very basic steps in boosting one’s immune system but when undertaken can have very positive results on the body.